Last Updated on
- 1 Top 6 Software Development Methodologies
Top 6 Software Development Methodologies
Benjamin Franklin once said “ failing to plan is planning to fail.” This statement resonates well with developers who fail to use available tools such as software development methodologies to fast track project completion. What you need to know is that these methodologies play a key role in the development of professional software.
As a framework, it enables software developers to structure, plan and control the software development process. Without organizing and prioritizing tasks, developers will fail to meet their objectives and even end up wasting a lot of resources.
Here are the top 6 software development methodologies.
This is a software development framework that minimizes the risk of developing applications by using short time boxes called iterations. The short time boxes are similar to mini software projects and include tasks necessary to complete the project for added functionality.
Features of agile software methodology include:
- Requirement analysis
The principles of agile software development methodology include collaboration, face to face meetings, continuous delivery of the final project. In case of unexpected changes internally or from the client’s side, this method helps to address them efficiently.
HyperlinkInfo Systems also follows the Agile Development methodology which helps the team to deliver high quality and solid end products. With a client-centric development model, the company tailors all solutions as per the client’s business requirements and so does Osbay.
- Responds to changes effectively
- Allows face to face communication. This enhances transparency
- Helps in finding and fixing bugs quickly
- The primary focus is on the software
- Lacks efficiency in documentation
As one of the top 6 software development methodologies, Scrum is a holistic product development strategy where teams work with a common goal in mind. It allows developers to self organize by encouraging collaboration using various tools. The methodology also encourages direct communication among team members.
The primary principle of Scrum is that customers can change their minds in regards to requirements. To counter this, the method adopts an evidence-based approach where the focus is primarily on responding to the client’s requirements and adapting to emerging technologies.
The features of Scrum include:
- Daily sprint meetings where team members discuss the project and obstacles
- Completion of tasks in iterations
- Planning sessions where backlog items are identified
In Scrum, you have a scrum master whose main responsibility is to deliver. While he or she is not the project leader, the scrum master acts as a productivity buffer. MindInventory is one of the software development companies that adopt Scrum methodology. As such, they have always delivered according to the client’s requirements. Not only that, they have done so at a fraction of the cost.
- A business requirement document is a must
- Tasks are completed in iterations which saves time
- Decision making is done by the team
- Scrum is not suitable for large projects
- The method is best suited for an expert team
3.Rapid Application Development
Designed to provide high-quality results and quicker development, Rapid Application Development takes advantage of the software development cycle. As one of the top 6 software development methodologies, it accelerates the entire process of software development. As such, developers are able to meet their objectives, fast and efficiently.
This is a condensed software development process which lowers investment costs as well as producing high-quality end products. Due to its condensed nature, developers can adjust to changes quickly providing clients with fast results.
The Rapid Application Development methodology has the following features:
- Requirements planning
- User design
Like Scrum, this methodology also requires a team of highly skilled developers. Deep knowledge is also essential since the team will be working in a condensed timeline.
- Embraces object-oriented programming which enhances software re-use
- Allows feedback from customers
- Enables clients to take quick reviews
- Condensed development timeline improves delivery
- Requires highly skilled developers
- Not suitable for the novice
- Not suitable for small projects
This is one of the highly sophisticated software development methodologies designed to reduce the early risks present in a project. In this methodology, team members begin on a small scale before exploring the early risks in a project. To continue with the project unhindered, the team creates plans to handle the risks before undertaking the next iteration in the spiral. What you need to know is that the success of this methodology lies in the attentive and reliable management of the project.
The main features of the Spiral Model include:
- Risk analysis
- Conception of operation
- Requirements plan life cycle plan
- Project review
- Risk analysis is done beforehand
- Perfect for large size projects
- Suited for high-risk projects
- Allows for new features to be integrated later
- Not suitable for low-risk projects
- Success is dependant on the risk analysis phase
5.Dynamic Systems Development Model Methodology
Based on the Rapid Application Development methodology, this model is an iterative and incremental approach which primarily focuses on continuous user involvement. The main aim of this methodology is to deliver client’s projects within budget and on time. As such, the method is very popular in the world of software development.
The main features of the Dynamic Systems Development Model Methodology include:
- Feasibility and business studies
- Functional Model
- Design and build
- Basic functionality is delivered quickly
- End users have easy access to developers
- Projects are delivered on time and budget
- Costly to implement
- Unsuitable for small businesses and projects
This is another software methodology derived from the agile software engineering method. The method was developed with the sole purpose of helping developers to avoid building functions which are not needed. As one of the software development methodologies commonly used by developers, it is aimed at creating high-quality end products. Also, the methodology helps to reduce costs and is perfect for complicated projects.
The main features of Extreme Programming include:
- Project requirement
- Test cases
- Allows for integration of current technologies to produce high-quality end products
- Allows for customer involvement
- Developers are committed to delivering high-quality software
- Costs can be higher as a result of frequent meetings
Osbay is a software development company that primarily focuses on bespoke software and mobile app development for Android and iOS devices. To deliver high-quality software to clients, our engineers rely on Agile Software Development Methodology. At Osbay, you have instant access to Linux, Java, Android, and iOS developers ready to help your business save money. Call our sales team today!